A year ago my mum retired after 35 years of working as a teacher. And within a few days we could feel that she wasn't enjoying her retirement as much we thought she would. For someone who'd worked all her life and juggled several roles in and out of the home, getting retired just because she'd blown 60 candles on her cake, seemed hard to come to terms with.
In the buildings we live in, the roads we walk on, in the font sizes on our phones and the places we work at. Ageism is everywhere.
In case of my mum, as we looked for flexible work opportunities to re-engage her, we realised that despite extensive experience and accolades, it was hard to find a single skill or experience-appropriate opportunity just because of her age.
As the world around us ages rapidly, we should be concerned about how we change the conversation and actions around senior inclusiveness. According to the WHO:
"Between 2015 and 2050, the proportion of the world's population over 60 years will nearly double from 12% to 22%."
The global life expectancy globally will go from 69 years in 2015 to 76 years in 2050. And in some countries like Hong Kong, that number is closer to mid 80s.
How does that change our lives? Well...
With prolonged life expectancy comes retirement years that may far exceed the number of years one has worked for.
This will create a growing, unsustainable pool of talent that would have been forced out of work well before they needed to be. While on the other hand, economies will suffer a shrinking work force because of reduced birth rate.
So it's time to bridge the gap by leveraging the wealth of their latent talent and re-introducing them to the workforce in a flexible and meaningful way.
As a small step in promoting senior inclusiveness and continuous learning for mature talent, we decided to build Retired Not Out (www.retirednotout.com) - a disruptive online platform connecting experienced, mature talent with relevant, flexible opportunities to learn and work.
Launched in April 2017 in Hong Kong (one of the fastest ageing economies in the world) we have already gathered a tribe of fifty seniors across various retirement levels who would most likely prefer consulting / teaching / training roles. We have placed 3 people in the past 3 months with startups as well as large corporates.
Not only do we curate roles for seniors but also work closely with organizations to create roles that add value to businesses.
Not only do we want to connect seniors with jobs but also want to make sure they are ready for a fantastic second innings by coaching them for employability readiness and helping them re-define the norms of retirement.
Once they acknowledge the transition and recognize the skills they need for their preferred second career, we enable them to learn these skills through custom designed skill-building modules especially in the areas of technology, language and soft-skills to enable them to catch up with the changing world.
- We're Senior Forward in design and accessibility
- We're helping locals, expats and travelling seniors connect with relevant, flexible jobs
- We focus on skill building to power second careers
- We're helping build future ready organizations
- We're the only online marketplace addressing this market in Hong Kong
We believe that retirement is a pause in life where you re-calibrate and do things better the next time around. It's not the end of the road. It's the start of a new chapter.
- Help us raise money by choosing any of the rewards below. They are designed to delight people over 50 and would make for amazing gifts
- Like and share our campaign link on Facebook or Linkedin or Instagram and tell people about it - word of mouth really works!
- Send an email to your friends, family, or colleagues to tell them about this marketplace
- Sign up your mom, dad, in-laws, aunties or neighbours on www.retirednotout.com
- Come and teach one of your many professional skills to our growing senior community
- Seniors need re-training of certain skills, such as technology as well as soft-skill coaching to be better prepared for their second careers. We are putting together some of the best (Retired) teachers and custom created course material to make this happen.
- Events and engagement with corporates and SMEs to understand the value of senior talent
Did we mention help us raise money? :)
To do that, select any of the rewards below, which will help contribute towards our fundraising efforts!
- Shipping in Hong Kong is free
- Shipping in India at an additional charge of USD 30
- Heartisans Watch International Shipping at USD 30
If you're interested to know more and would like to be a part of our journey you can write to me directly on email@example.com
Thank you so much for your support!
Founder & CEO, www.retirednotout.com
P.S: Know someone who could benefit from our service? Let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org